Wednesday, 13 August 2014

Glamour Doll Eyes Review: Swatches + Looks




Glamour Doll Eyes is a cruelty free indie brand that sells both their own colours and unblended pigments, I recently had the opportunity to choose six pigments to review and after having used them for a while I'm excited to tell you about them! 




First of all, Vee was lovely to communicate with over email and very quick to send the parcel out. When it arrived everything came safely wrapped with a few nicely made business cards as well. I was sent six sample sized pigments in colours that I could choose myself (which took a while because their collection is absolutely huge). The samples are very generous in size, I'll be able to use them a lot before I'd have to repurchase. As they're only $1.50 each in sample size you get great amounts of product for value. 





The six colours I decided to go for were: Heedless Heart, described as an almost metallic rose gold. Brown Eyed Girl, described as an extremely shimmery brown with purple undertones. Candy Floss, described as a bright pink with purple sparkles and a purple undertone. Vulnerable, described as a light beige with rose and green shimmers. Juicy Mango, described as a medium shimmer orange with a pink afterglow and Flawless, described as a light beige/pink with subtle turquoise and gold shimmers.


Swatches indoors in artificial light.



Two applications over Darling Girl's Primped And Primed primer.



 


All the colours were very fine in texture, very easy to apply and opaque in two layers. I had no trouble with them fading or creasing either, though wearing time and intensity always depends on the base that you use under them.


Swatches indoors, natural light.



From left to right: Heedless Heart, Flawless, Juicy Mango, Candy Floss, Vulnerable, Brown Eyed Girl






Heedless Heart





Heedless Heart looks almost brown in the jar, but turns into a metallic rose gold on the skin. It's much cooler than most rose golds as they can turn quite orange or pink, whereas Heedless Heart is almost bronze in colour. It's very easy to use as it suits a lot of different skintones and goes well with a lot of different colours. It's lovely all over the lid with a darker colour in the crease, but it works pretty well on its own too.




Brown Eyed Girl









Brown Eyed Girl was a bit of a surprise! It looks brown in the jar but turns a silvery purple on my skin. This is a lovely darker colour for in the crease or as a smokey eye. 



Look: Heedless Heart + Brown Eyed Girl






In this look I applied Heedless Heart all over the crease and Brown Eyed Girl in the outer corners blended out in the crease and under the lower lashline. I love how sparkly Heedless Heart is! 





Juicy Mango








close-up swatch of Juicy Mango to show off the shift.



Juicy Mango was initially as generously filled as the other samples, but then I dropped it and it kind of went everywhere, ugh. Such a shame too, because this ended up being my favourite! Juicy Mango is a wonderful duochrome that looks orange at first glance but flashes a reddish pink when the light hits it. Gorgeous!





Flawless







Flawless, for me, is the perfect nude. It looks lovely as a wash all over the lid and it looks very natural on my (very light) skin. I think for most people this would be a really nice highlight colour as it's not too cool or warm toned, but for pale ladies it'll look awesome all over the lid. 




Look: Flawless + Juicy Mango








For this look I dusted Flawless all over the lid and applied Juicy Mango in the outer corners and blended it towards the crease.






Candy Floss







It seemed that every time I bought a bright magenta in the past they didn't match up to my expectations (I'm looking at you, Totally Fetch from the Too Faced Pretty Rebel palette) so I was hoping that Candy Floss would be the way I hoped it would be. It seems that bright pink/purple eyeshadows are a bit hard to formulate as they're often not very pigmented, but I'm relieved to say that Candy Floss is up to the task! It's wonderfully bright and opaque and easy to blend out. I really like it! This colour is very true to pan, it swatches just like it looks in the jar. Blended out it becomes a bit more pinkish in colour.




Vulnerable:







Vulnerable is another very pretty highlighting colour and lovely all over the lid. I was a bit concerned it would be a lot like Flawless at first, but it's much warmer in undertones and sparklier too. A delightful champagne gold.


Look: Vulnerable + Candy Floss








To create this I applied Vulnerable all over the lid and lightly blended Candy Floss from the inner corners towards the centre of the eye. To give the look a bit more depth I used a warm taupe in the crease as well.




Final Verdict





This was my first time trying out anything from Glamour Doll Eyes, and I'm pleasantly surprised. They have a huge selection on their website to choose from, but there's a lot of information to be found on there and the website is easy to navigate. I really like all the pigments that I got to try out, the quality is lovely and their pigmentation is impressive. You will need a sticky base underneath for them to truly shine, but the same goes for every loose pigment. Glamour Doll Eyes is cruelty free but a lot of their products aren't vegan. This isn't an issue for me, but it might be for some. Also, they mix a lot of their products themselves but they also sell unblended colours, just something to keep in mind. 


Overall, I definitely recommend it. If you're at a loss for which colours to choose, just look in the best seller catagory. I think that's where I got all of mine from. 


You can buy Glamour Doll Eyes and get more information on their website glamourdolleyes.com




7 comments:

  1. Another indie brand to add to the 'Must Try' list ;) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heedless Heart and Brown Eyed Girl look amazing! Nice choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ziet er goed uit! Leuk ook al die looks met alle kleurtjes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed! Also, you might want to have a look at My Pretty Zombie (especially the eyeshadow Infirmity, it's gorgeous!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dankjewel! Ik was er blij verrast mee, soms kan losse oogschaduw een beetje doorzichtig zijn maar ik vond de kwaliteit echt heel goed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ElizaDeath Taylor14 August 2014 at 20:27

    Juicy Mango and Brown eyed girl look gorgeous! Definitely interested in these shadows now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving your blog and product reviews...sooo helpful! I hope you update soon! :)

    ReplyDelete