Wednesday, 30 April 2014

Look: My Kingsday Abroad




Usually I feel like I've adjusted to living in the UK quite well, but some days are stranger than others. Especially the days that are of significance or celebration in your own country feel a bit weird now. Recently it was Kingsday (formerly Queensday) in the Netherlands, arguably our most important national holiday and it felt really strange to not be a part of it, so I celebrated in my own way! Sure, I had to go to work and nobody over here knows what the hell Kingsday even is but my boss let me break dress-code for the day and walk around in orange attire. Which was pretty cool!

If I'm guessing right, about half of my readers are from the Netherlands and the other half is from all over the world, so I think it would be a good idea to explain a little bit about the holiday. Luckily there's this movieclip of the British comedian John Fealey who had lived in the Netherlands for a couple of years that explains it very well from a foreigner's perspective, which I think is a lot more entertaining than having me explain it to you, haha!






Anyway, the look itself isn't all that special since I had to wear it for work and it needed to be wearable. I opted for soft bronzy eye make-up and vibrant orange lips.




I used a dark brown eyeliner pencil to tightline my eyes and then smudged it out with a flat eyeshadow brush. Then I dusted a chocolate brown eyeshadow over it and blended that upwards. Over that I blended a honey coloured eyeshadow and blended it upwards to a light gold one. This created a subtle smokey gradient effect.





To open up my eyes I lined my lashline with the same brown pencil and smudged it out so it wouldn't look too harsh.






Product list:

Face:
Skinfood Concealer
Essence Matte Me Pressed Powder
Mememe Fluid Highlighter in Moonlight

Eyes:
Stila Smudge Eyeliner in Damsel
Urban Decay Primer Potion eye primer
MaxFactor Clump Defy Mascara
Too Faced Natural Eye Palette (all eyeshadow colours)

Eyebrows: 
HEMA eyebrow pencil (lightest brown)
Stila In The Light eyeshadow palette  (Bliss)
Stila In The Light eyeshadow palette (Sandstone)
Hairspray

Lips:
Sleek Eau La La Liner in Pumpkin
MAC Vegas Volt lipstick



1 comment:

  1. wow this looks really good on you! (reader from USA!)

    ReplyDelete