Thursday, 23 January 2014

Tutorial: Lavender Woods




After last time's tutorial about a neutral look I was itching to do something colourful again! I still wanted it to be pretty and wearable, although the opinions about what is and isn't wearable will surely differ. This time we're creating a look with a warm/cold contrast. I chose to combine a shimmering lavender that had a blue shift with a warm brown. I really liked the effect and because it has both warm and cool undertones it'll look good on a lot of skintones as well!

I know that this purple colour might be a bit hard to come by, so feel free to use your own version instead. This look will be lovely with a more pinkish eyeshadow, magenta, straight up purple or even blue! Just make sure that the colour isn't too dark and is nice and shimmery, then the effect should be similar.




Step 1: Primer






As usual, prime your eyes with your favourite eye shadow primer. Apply it all over the lid up to the browbone. I like to use my clean fingers to smooth it out all over the lid. Don't forget the inner corners and the lower lashline as well!




Step 2: White Base







Because our main colour is going to be very light and I want it to appear vivid on my lids, we're going to use a white base so that the colour shows up even better. Apply the base all over the lid. Don't worry about being messy, it's part of the fun.






 Once you've applied it, smooth it out with your fingers towards the browbone.



Step 3: Apply Base Colour





With a flat brush load up your base colour and gently pat it on. Patting is the best way to release a lot of product. You might not get an opaque amount on your lids in one go, so repeat this step as often as you need. 


Step 4: Warm it up with Rose Gold





With a dense little eyeshadow brush, grab a rose-gold eyeshadow and apply it in the area shown above. We do this to make the look a little bit warmer and to make the gradient to brown a lot easier. Don't worry about blending yet, we'll do that in the next step. 




Step 5: Blend!





With a clean fluffy blending brush, gently blend the area shown in the diagram. Use little windshield motions on the outer edges and little swirling motions where the eyeshadow colours overlap. Re-apply if you lose too much definition.




Step 6: Apply Brown Colour





With the same dense brush we used earlier, grab a medium brown (make sure it's a warm brown!) and apply it in the areas shown in the diagram. Keep applying until you reach the desired intensity.





Step 7: Blend!





Take your fluffy blending brush again and gently blend the areas shown in the diagram. If you lose too much intensity, repeat step 6 and 7 until you're happy.






Apply Eyeliner And Mascara







This look is pretty spiffy on its own, but I love combining it with a warm brown eyeliner and mascara. The black versions look pretty great too however.








So there you have it, a look that has cool as well as warm tones in it! I really like the way they seem to work together even though I wouldn't natively think of combining colours in this way. I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and as always, let me know what you think and when you try it out!


3 comments:

  1. This is such a pretty look. I think I may have a similar purple in my indie eyeshadow stash so I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks gorgeous. Can you tell me which shadow palette and lip color you used?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I used the Urban Decay Vice 2 palette and I used two lipcolours (I was trying them out at the time). They're both Sleek Pout Paints, the lighter one is Minx and the more vibrant one is Milkshake.

    ReplyDelete