Wednesday, 15 January 2014

Hair Tutorial: How I dye my hair with Henna


I know I know, I promised a Henna tutorial ages ago! I usually only remember that I WAS going to do a tutorial when I'm already in the middle of doing it, so sorry for taking so long. Here it finally is.

I often get questions about my hair, the hair colour specifically. As you might know, my natural hair colour is a mousey blonde which I guess by now has turned into a mousey brown. I'm not really sure, since I've been dyeing my hair with henna for over five years and haven't really seen my natural hair colour all that much.


First of all, what is Henna?


Wikipedia says:  "Henna has been used since antiquity to dye skin, hair, and fingernails, as well as fabrics including silk, wool, and leather. The name is used in other skin and hair dyes, such as black henna and neutral henna, neither of which are derived from the henna plant"


morocco-henna-2
Henna leaves and its ground up powder


So basically, Henna is a plant from which the leaves are used to make a dye since they make a natural stain. Henna is used for amazingly beautiful body art as well as colouring hair. I love using pure Henna to dye my hair, but I don't really mind using a pre-mixed powder either. 

Why do I love using it? Well, there are several reasons. Henna is a natural hair dye since it's basically just the ground up leaves of the Henna plant. This means that there are no chemicals involved and I feel like it's actually healthy for my hair. After a Henna treatment it's always very shiny and voluminous. I also really love the deep colour that Henna gives. Readers that have dyed their hair red before know that red dyes can fade and turn brassy VERY quickly, Henna is a permanent dye and I haven't experienced a fading in colour. 



So can I get your hair colour by dyeing it with Henna?


I get asked this question a lot, and I have to disappoint you in advance. The answer is that I'm not sure. Henna is a transluscent red dye, so although the colour itself is a deep orange it depends on your actual haircolour how it's going to look on you. If you have light blond hair it's probably going to be orange or a flaming red. If you have brown hair it's probably going to be auburn and if you have very dark to black hair you're probably just going to get a red hue. If you have previously dyed your hair it can react very strangely to it, becoming either a very bright orange or even green. There are even cases where people had their hair fall out entirely or have it become very brittle because the henna reacted to a previous chemical hairdye!

If you dye your hair over and over again with henna the colour will become darker and more saturated too! Which is why my hair is darker at the ends than it is at the roots, it has had more henna treatments, thus the colour is deeper.

It also depends on how long you let the henna settle in your hair. The longer you leave it in, the more saturated the colour will be. 

So please, if you're thinking of dyeing your hair with henna, do a test strand first! That way you can see if you like the colour on you. You can also buy mixes that use henna and other dyes to create different colours, but I'd still recommend you to do a test strand first. There's no telling as to how the dye will react to you.


Let's get on with the tutorial shall we! What do we need for this?





Well, get your old stuff out of the closet because things are going to get messy! Beforehand, make sure your bathroom is void of everything that you wouldn't like orange spots on. This is the list of things that you'll need. 


- Henna powder (obviously) If you have long hair like me, you'll probably need two bags instead of one. 
- Mixing bowl. Make sure it's not made out of metal. I haven't had it happen, but I've read that metal can have a strange reaction with henna and it could affect the colour. 
- Stirring device: A plastic spoon or fork is ideal for this.
- Hot water
- Old towels 
- An old t-shirt 
- Hair clips or hair ties, stuff that will get sections of hair out of the way.
- GLOVES! You need gloves, trust me. Don't do this without gloves!
- Time: I find that Henna needs at least a few hours (I like to do a full day) to get the best results.

Optional: Vaseline (it'll keep the henna from staining your forehead!)


Right, do you have everything? Then let's start!


Before



Right so this is my hair before we start dyeing, just so that we have a reference point. You can clearly see where my roots are showing. Usually I just do my roots, but for the sake of this tutorial I'm going to do all of my hair. 



Just Add Water





Since Henna comes in powder form (the finer milled the better!) we have to make it into a paste first. There are several ways to do this and you could even add stuff to change the colour a little bit, but I've just always mixed it with hot water and it's worked fine for me.

So boil some water and pour it in there. It's best if you just pour a bit, stir, pour a bit more, stir again, etc. Rinse and repeat until you get a yoghurt like consistency. For my Dutch readers, I don't mean Dutch yoghurt! That would be far too runny! Think more along the lines of Greek yoghurt or what we call 'Kwark'. You want to be able to smooth it out, but you don't want it to be too runny. 




Hmmm, tasty!




Haha, ugh. The paste always looks a bit horrible. It doesn't smell great either, but you get used to it. Keep stirring until you get a homogenous and smooth paste. 




Get Your Hair Ready!





Now put on your old t-shirt and make sure your hair is clean. I always like to make it slightly damp since it's easier to work with. Also, with my long hair I like to work in sections, starting from the bottom working upwards. This is why I've divided my hair into several sections, leaving the lowest one down. 

Once you let the henna cool down enough to touch, just grab a handful and work it into your hair. Be generous! Make sure you lather it on everywhere and really massage it into your scalp so that it gets into your roots. Once you're done with a section of hair, release one of the buns and slowly work your way upwards. 

It's probably going to get messy (which is why we're wearing old ratty clothes in a bare bathroom!') and don't worry about that too much. Just make sure to clean it up when you're done, because henna stains EVERYTHING. This includes bathroom tiles. 



When you've applied all the Henna into your hair it should look a bit like this, as if you've slathered your hair in a thick mud layer. This is good! Now that you're done it's good to wrap your head in so that your hair is contained. I like to do this in a towel turban but wrapping your hair in clingfilm works too. This is because you'll have to walk around with the henna in your hair for a few hours, and trust me, you don't want this stuff falling everywhere in your house. So cover it up as well as you can! This will also give you a chance to clean your skin up a bit before the henna stains your skin orange.


When it's in, keep it in for a while. Unless for some reason it starts to burn or itch, it's normal for it to itch a little bit as it dries up (dried mud tends to itch on your scalp a bit, no biggie) but it definitely shouldn't inflame your skin or feel irritating. Wash it out immediately if you feel anything like that!

I like to keep it in for at least five hours, but I've done three before and it was fine. I know that this is a long time, but the longer you keep the Henna in the more intense the colour will be in the end. I usually dye my hair when I know that I'm going to stay home anyway, but I know that some people just sleep with it in (safely covered of course!) and wash it out the next day. 


Talking about washing it out, it'll probably take a long time. The best way is to take a bath and just soak your hair for a while, rinsing it with a shower and shampoo afterwards. I don't have that luxury, so I usually just take a shower with lots of conditioner. It will seem like you'll never get clean ever again for a while, but you will. In time, haha!


Also, this is why you need gloves! I wanted to show you what it looks like when you don't, and yeah, it's not pretty. This was AFTER I had washed and scrubbed my hands, the Henna had stained them a super bright orange. Especially my fingernails were super bright and stayed that way for over a week. 



After dyeing your hair, it should feel soft and more voluminous than usual. The volume won't stay for very long though, but the colour will! 



With this before and after shot you can truly see the difference in volume very well. My hair always gets wavy and much thicker right after a treatment. In both photos I haven't done anything to my hair except for brushing it, and in both photos it's been a day since I've washed it.



So yeah, that's how I do it! I don't always use the Henna brand that I used in this tutorial, I tend to just go with what I can get. I've tried Lush's henna and liked it, I've used pure henna powder which worked fine and I've used Henara's powder in Auburn which I like a lot since it's easy to make a smooth paste with.

Hopefully this has answered a few questions about dyeing your hair with Henna, but don't hesitate to ask me more! If anything is unclear to you at all, feel free to ask.

41 comments:

  1. Your hair colour is so beautiful! Obviously I dye mine with chemical dye that contains pre-lighteners because there's no way I'd get it to the brightness I want with just henna as my hair is very dark and doesn't take colour well. Redheads definitely have the most fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tutorial is great, but I think it's important to point out that you should follow the instructions for the kind of henna you buy. For mine, I have to mix it with an acidic agent (citrus juice, vinegar etc) the night before and leave it out (covered) overnight and then apply it the next day. But I have also tried ones that you can just mix and use, and ones which specifically say NOT to cover your hair while the henna is on.

    Your hair is absolutely gorgeous, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right! Of course it is the best to follow the instructions if your pack of dye contains any! I've tried quite a few different brands and doing it this way has always been fine, but doing it the way the pamflet tells you is even better. Most of my bought henna didn't come with any instructions though, so I thought it would be good to just explain the way I've been doing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As one of the people who requested this, thank you very much! Your hair is so gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do indeed! :p Your hair is a lovely super bright colour though, and luckily these days we have chemical dyes that are a lot more gentle for your hair than about say, ten years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw thank you so much! And you're welcome. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have issues with using certain shampoos/hair products?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I thought it was natural! I'm always envious of people who can pull off red hair.

    biffsquiggled

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not that I know of! My hair gets greasy pretty quickly, but it's always done that. Other than the colour, it really hasn't changed how my hair reacts to things. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stephanie Beavers20 January 2014 at 19:10

    I looove dying my hair red. I should really try henna one day since I do it so often! It looks gorgeous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hair is beautifullll. What shampoo and conditioner do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! I just use normal drugstore shampoo, I change brands every now and again. Right now I'm using Dove's shampoo because it was on offer. Haha! I don't really use conditioner, except if I get it as a set or something.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh you should! Especially since you already dye your hair. Make sure to do a test strand first though. :p

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh stop it you! <3 :p

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! Pretty! I love henna. You should check out hennaforhair.com-that is where I order mine. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Henna can be used on all types of natural or coloured hair. I also use henna when I fell hair fall problem. Henna also known for its beneficial properties on hair and scalp. Thanks for tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am also using Henna now and am really enjoying it.
    Loved the color of your hair, gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Somerset Wedding Gal16 May 2014 at 15:53

    What an ingenious idea! You look fantastic, what a vibrant red!

    http://www.holbrookhouse.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  19. You comment that you have naturally greasy hair and in your after pictures that you haven't washed in a few days. I have such an issue that I feel the need to wash my hair everyday. So my questions are, does the henna help to diminish the greasy look and how often do you typically wash your hair?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Where can I buy henna powder and which one do u recommend. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello! The henna itself doesn't really do anything to diminish greasy looks as it doesn't change my body chemistry. I generally wash my hair about every two days, although sometimes every day if I've been hot and sweaty. Using dry shampoo helps quite a bit as well!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I buy mine from Lush though I've bought it from Amazon previously as well. I love Lush's henna, though it comes as a solid bar and you'll have to chop it up before using.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome. Thanks for the help. Ordered mine today !!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. http://www.amazon.com/Hannah-Natural-100%25-Henna-Powder/dp/B009YSTOAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406266509&sr=8-1&keywords=hannah+henna would you trust this or consider buying from this brand?

    ReplyDelete
  25. where did you buy this specific colour?:) it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I bought it off Amazon though I can't find it anymore. I've had the same result with other brands that sell henna though! I guess it's just the way henna makes my hair look.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think so as it is natural henna it should give me the same results as other brands.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is gorgeous!! I can't seem to ever get that deep of a henna color, but mine always turns out pretty. Thank you for the tutorial. Maybe I'll try your method next time for a deeper color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've been using henna for quite some time now too and I have found that to get a more intense colour from your henna- freeze it for at least a day. so make up your paste, let it sit for a few hours to release the stain, i leave it in a warm place , when you see the top layer turning dark it means it has released, then before you put it on your hair, freeze the paste. After a day in the freezer defrost it, i just put it in the sun and once defrosted i put it on my hair. Somehow the freezing explodes the colour molecule which makes the colour so much better more intense and vibrant and deeper in colour :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. hello sweety u are beautifull , hair and face too...very nice ur energy with this henna dye...i love it!!!!!! https://www.facebook.com/HennAddicted

    ReplyDelete
  31. very nice your style ..thank you so much
    http://dz-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Really beautiful color! I recently started using henna on my hair, which is ironic since I have done henna on skin as body art for over 15 years. Your coloring and mine are very similar. My dishwater blonde, which I like to refer to as "mouse fur color", was chemically dyed since I was 18 and I decided to go more natural. I love the results with henna.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hey, I was thinking of dying my hair with henna. At the moment I use red box dyes but I find they fade quite fast and when I wash my hair or if I'm out in the rain a lot (which I am as I live in England) it leaks orange dye everywhere and ruins my clothes. I was just wondering if henna did this too? does it leak red/orange when its wet and does it fade at all? I was also wondering if (when your hair is dry) it stains your clothes or pillows - as I had an issue with that with some of my chemical dyes.... sorry for bombarding you with questions but I love having my hair red and I'm just really struggling to keep it from fading :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Jodie! In my experience henna doesn't fade much at all, it is truly a permanent hair dye that you'll need to top up when the roots start to show. There can be a bit of staining for the first few days after as all of the henna might not have rinsed out yet, but after that it shouldn't stain at all anymore. I like to use a towel for the first night or so on my pillow after dyeing it, but even when I haven't I've rarely had stains on my bed sheets because of it. I hope this answers your question. :3

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yes, that answers all my questions! thank you so much! :D

    ReplyDelete
  36. what is your natural hair color?

    ReplyDelete
  37. I have dyed my hair black but it has been 4 months. I haven't dyed it since. Do you know if I do the red henna it will work? My hair is naturally dark brown.

    ReplyDelete
  38. From personal experience depending on how faded your hair and how dark your natural color is what will probably happen is the black portion wont do to much it may have a red halo and your roots will be a cherry cola color. I know because I did the exact same thing. Henna doesn't light hair it is translucent in nature it just adds color. If you want to see some other peoples results I suggest checking out http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hey, amazing tutorial! Can You tell me whats your natural hair colour? How can You get só much more red than orange? Its coloured henna or 100%?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Just wondering cause it seems like your brows match your hair. Do you dye them Henna too?

    ReplyDelete
  41. I just found your post, and I'm amazed. Last month I bought the copper tone of this brand and it wasn't what I wanted, even though I'm not a girl who worries too much if the result isn't the expected. But I wanted a more flame red, as I used to wear when I dyed my hair with chemicals dyes. I bought the auburn one, and I thought it would give me a colder tone, but as I saw you results I jumped with joy! hahaha this is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you for your tutorial, it helped me a lot :)

    ReplyDelete