Friday, 1 November 2013

Review: LORAC Pro Palette






I was in doubt whether I should make a review about this palette or not since it's not actually available for most of my readers who are from either the Netherlands or the UK, but I figured that if people really want to get their hands on it there's always Ebay or Amazon.

LORAC is a mid-end make-up brand based in the US and is mostly famous for its high quality eyeshadows although the brand itself claims that it's famous for being well loved amongst Hollywood celebrities.

The LORAC Pro palette is an eyeshadow palette filled with beautiful natural colours in both shimmer and matte finishes. I had heard many good things about this palette but since I'm based in the UK I didn't really think of actually purchasing it. Luckily one of my American friends was so lovely to send me one as long as I covered the expense, so I was absolutely chuffed to bits when the palette arrived on my doorstep.



Packaging






The packaging is very sleek and doesn't take up much room at all, which is brilliant. I like the matte finish and the silver print but the matte packaging is a dust magnet. It's hard to wipe off and every smudge of eyeshadow will show up on it. Luckily the palette also comes with a full sized mirror and closes with a magnet, so it's ideal to take with you as you don't need to take an extra mirror with you and you don't have to worry about the palette opening in your bag or something.

The only thing I don't like is that the packaging is made out of cardboard. Usually this means that it shows wear and tear far too quickly for my liking but a few of my favourite palettes have cardboard packaging and have lasted me well throughout the years. So who knows, maybe it's sturdier than it looks.


Colours







I absolutely love the colour selection! There's such a wide range of wearable colours available. There's a very good mix of matte and shimmer shades as well as a good mixture of warm, cool and neutral colours. There are a few interesting dark shades and also a few different kind of highlighters as well. This will allow you to create many different looks. Most of the colours go well together and are very easy to combine. I especially love that the name of each eyeshadow is the actual colour of that particular shade! This is very helpful, and I much prefer this over the more flimsy whimsical (or downright rude) names a lot companies give their products nowadays.


Swatches


Swatches of the top row. Two applications, no primer or base. Applied with a dry finger.

The first thing I noticed was how incredibly soft these eyeshadows are. To use them you need to be careful! Don't press too hard and use a light hand. Most of the colours above are completely matte except for White, which has a few subtle sparkles in it. I'm incredibly impressed by the pigmentation of the matte eyeshadows since matte eyeshadows are very hard to get right for most brands. Even the lighter colours are quite pigmented, although the photo doesn't show it properly since the lighter colours are very close to my skintone.

I love how soft and silky the eyeshadows feel and how easily they glide on, but I don't think they are quite as pigmented as I expected. Don't get me wrong, the eyeshadows are very nicely pigmented but when I looked for swatches on the internet they seemed much more opaque. Sure I could build them up to full opacity and that's nice too, but it's still a bit unfair for others to swatch them in a way that makes it seem like they're more pigmented than they really are.


Swatches of the bottom row. Two applications, no primer or base. Applied dry.

The shimmery colours are all very soft, glide on like nobody's business and are incredibly pigmented. Very nice!

The only colour I don't really like is the Deep Purple one, not because it doesn't perform but because it just doesn't seem like a deep purple to me. It's more like a black with purple shimmers, when you look at the eyeshadow in the pan it seems like a very different colour so I'm a bit bummed out about that. I'll still use the shade, but I wish it was more purple.

All in all I can say that the quality of the eyeshadows is truly lovely, it's refreshing to see such a good mix of matte and shimmer (I'm used to palettes primarily offering shimmer and a few token gestures of matte thrown in) and most of the colours are true to pan as well.

Looks







For this smoky look I used Garnet all over the lid and blended it out with Taupe and Cream at the ends. I used Sable, Espresso and Black to make the look smoky and to create a nice dark to light gradient.




For this look I used Mauve all over the lid and blended it out with Cream, I used a little bit of White on the browbone as a highlight. To define the outer corners and the crease as well as the lower lashline I used the Sable colour.




The LORAC Pro eyeshadow colours are very nice to use on the eyes. They blend very easily but are pigmented enough so that they don't fade as you blend, preventing a muddy mess. They are very easy to use, even the very pigmented colours are soft and the darker colours also don't give much trouble. I didn't experience any problems with fallout, but the eyeshadows themselves are quite soft and will crumble easily if you're not careful. Always use a light hand and tap off excess product from your brush.



Final Verdict





The LORAC Pro palette is definitely worth the hype. The eyeshadow selection is beautiful and well thought through and the eyeshadows themselves are finely milled, soft and very nicely pigmented. This is a mid-end product so it's not cheap. The palette retails at 40 Dollars in the US, which makes it cheaper than say the Naked palette (an eyeshadow palette comparable in quality and colour selection) it's definitely something to think about before you purchase.

This is a truly lovely palette for simple everyday looks as well as more festive or elaborate nighttime looks. It's very versatile, suitable for cool as well as warm undertones and there's a nice variety between shimmer, glitter and matte finishes as well. It also doesn't hurt that the palette features a full sized mirror and doesn't take up much space at all, which is a big bonus.

The downsides are that the palette doesn't seem very sturdy and the packaging might show signs of wear and tear since it's made out of cardboard. The eyeshadows are very soft and can crumble and break if you don't use a light hand, so do be gentle with it when you use it.




9 comments:

  1. Wow, je hebt 'm! Prachtige looks heb je ermee gemaakt. Ik moet deze hebben! Als ik ooit in de VS kom, neem ik deze mee:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely review! If it eases your fears a bit, my PRO palette has been on several trips with me (including flying in my checked luggage on flights w/connections) and it doesn't look any worse for wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGGG die smokey look <33333 en de kleur 'gold' en 'garnet'.... perfect!! ik word echt blij (en blut) van jou blog haha =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wat een mooie looks heb je gemaakt! Vooral die smokey look wowie zo pretty <3 Lijkt me een heel fijn palette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jaa zo mooi! Ik ben er echt HEEL blij mee, gebruik hem ook continu. Hahaha ik weet niet of ik sorry moet zeggen omdat je blut bent of met je mee moet geeken bij al die mooie dingen. :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! That does ease my fears a bit. I've had it with me on a few trips now and it's as you said, it survives the journey just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dankjewel! En zeker doen, dit is zeker het mooiste 'everyday' palette wat ik tegen gekomen ben.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colours in the palette are really nice and neutral!!
    I love the copper coloured smokey eye look that you did, it made your eyes really pop ^_^
    But it's definitely not cheap >_< Contemplating on whether to get this palette or the Naked palette!!


    xx
    www.beautifyinglifee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's slightly cheaper than the Naked palette, but I think you get less product as well. If you're in doubt about which neutral palette to get, I also made a post a while ago about recommendations! Maybe that will make the choice a bit easier? http://www.hantasticbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/naked-palette-alternatives.html

    ReplyDelete