Sunday, 20 October 2013

My Skincare Routine


My bare skin



For the longest time, my skin was the most underappreciated aspect of myself and I didn't pay any attention to it. Aside from the circles under my eyes, I didn't often have any problems with my skin so I kind of just took it for granted. I rarely used any creams and I didn't take special care of it at all.


That was until I decided to follow a course in Games Design, had to do with only four hours of blissfull sleep on a regular basis because of the workload and my skin rebelled in response to that abuse with vicious outbreaks on my forehead and temples, dry patches and discolorations.

Now that I'm not so busy with projects my skin has calmed down, but it also helps that since that busy time I decided to actually treat my skin nicely by drinking lots of water and taking proper care of it.




I do realise that I am quite lucky with my skin. It is mostly normal, leaning slightly to the dry and sensitive side. Once a month a few annoying zits show up, but other than that I am very appreciative of it.


I'm not going to pretend that I'm some kind of skincare wizard, because I'm not. I don't know half as much about ingredients and whatnot as I'd like, but I do pay attention to what works for me and what doesn't.


Every Day




There are three simple products that I use every day. Make-up remover wipes, a cleansing lotion and a moisturizer.




Johnson's Face Wipes (For Normal Skin)



I am usually not very fond of make-up remover wipes. They are often way too dry, tugging on my skin and not removing the make-up properly. They can also sting like an angry bee! Not this one though. Johnson's face wipes are very nice and moist and remove all of my make-up with ease. No burning sensation, no excessive rubbing. Great stuff!




Here are the ingredients for anyone who would like to pour over them for a bit. There's not much in it that I recognise, but at least it feels great.



Simple Purifying Cleansing Lotion



I feel like the facewipes take the bulk of my make-up away but that I still need a little bit extra to make sure that all the make-up is gone. I also use this cleanser when I haven't worn make-up but when I'm just washing my face in the evening or morning. There's no perfume in it and it's suitable for sensitive skin.

I like this cleanser a lot, it doesn't burn or irritate at all and after rinsing it off my face the skin doesn't feel squeaky clean or dry but just nice and normal clean.



Some more ingredients! I'm not even going to pretend like I know what any of these words mean, sorry. If you see me accidentally putting something dangerous on my face please tell me.



Dr. Hauschka Rose Day Cream



This is both my day- and my nightcream. It is a very nourishing cream, perfect for the areas that tend to get a little dry otherwise. The cream smells a little bit special, not unlike a New Age store but I don't mind the strong odour since my nose hardly picks up anything anyway. I use this twice a day after cleaning my face.





Once A Week



Lush Ocean Salt Facial Scrub



This scrub is a newer addition to my routine as it was a gift, but it has been absolutely splendid. Once or twice a week I like to gently exfoliate my face and this scrub is gentle enough to not hurt my skin. It also leaves a very nice residue when you wash it off, my skin feels very soft afterwards.





This is what the stuff looks like, pretty neat! It smells really great too, it has this typical Lush smell to it that's hard to explain to people that haven't tried anything from Lush before, but I promise that it's divine!




Gee, thanks Ben!

Contrary to my other skincare products, I can actually understand how Lush made this scrub. It's nice to know the ingredients for once.




DIY Mask



Once a week I also like to indulge in a homemade mask. I do buy a sheet or clay mask every once in a while but a student has to watch her pennies and has to be resourceful sometimes! 

I love mixing honey and olive oil for a nourishing and calming mask. Honey is soothing and works as an antiseptic so it's good for acne while olive oil is highly moisturizing. I use all kinds of things from my kitchen to make masks with, often in combination with either honey or olive oil such as yoghurt, eggs, sugar, a bit of avocado or even oatmeal. 




So there we have it, that's what I do to try and keep my skin in check! Do you have any golden tips or secrets you are willing to part with? Also, if I'm doing something hilariously wrong in my skin routine (or anything really) don't hesitate to correct me on it! 



6 comments:

  1. LIMWZ Beauty Blog21 October 2013 at 10:08

    No harmfull ingredients, a few are maybe controversial. Parabens and palm oil for example. Google them to find out why. The only thing I can think of of that might be somewhat harmful is the fact that you use a physical exfoliant instead of a chemical one. The tiny scratches made by the salt can damage skin. For that reason I use a chemical one. It removes dead skin cells but also stimulates the growth of new ones. Look for BHA and AHA type ingredients :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wat verfrissend om eens een beautyblogger te zien die niet tien stappen aan een verzorgingsroutine heeft met producten van 40 euro, haha. Leuk om te lezen dit! Ik zelf maak graag maskertjes van yoghurt of een scrubje van soda.


    Jij en je huid zijn trouwens prachtig!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some wonderful tips, thanks! I'm very careful with the scrub and luckily it's quite gentle (the little grains of salt kind of melt as you scrub away) but after this one is gone I'll look into getting a chemical one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dankjewel zeg! Haha tien stappen? Ain't nobody got time for that! :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so amazingly beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the do it yourself olive oil mask, something I will definitely try! I have been looking for a great skin tightening treatment that will help with all of this loose and sagging skin that I have from having a second baby. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete