Thursday, 10 October 2013

Challenge: Work appropriate look for under £20





In the last challenge I asked you guys what my next one should be, and reader Melanie was the first to come up with a great challenge. This is what she said:


"I bet you can't do a genuinely good going-to-work look for me for
twenty pound. My red hair is pretty similar to yours so I'm thinking what looks good on you might work for me! :) "


Well Melanie, challenge accepted! Not everything that I used is something that you can get in the UK, but I'll list alternatives for you so that it'll still be nice and budget friendly.




Things I ended up using:




I knew the key to going cheap is to multitask! So I picked a cheap lipstick in a pretty pinkish coral colour that would also serve me well as a blush and an eyeshadow palette that would give me good colours for my eyebrows, eyes and eyeliner. As concealer is often all that I need, I went for one that I know has great coverage but is inexpensive, the same for mascara! I didn't know if I should include brushes in the price, but I ended up doing just that. I used an angled brush (for the eyebrows and eyeliner) and a round little eyeshadow brush for the rest of the eyeshadow. I applied the lipstick as blush with my fingers, the same goed for the concealer. Brushes are often expensive, so applying the product with your sanitised fingers can be a good alternative.

Products used:

- Eyeshadow Palette: Sleek Oh So Special Palette (£8)

- Concealer: Catrice Camouflage Cream (£2.5)
- Mascara: HEMA Mascara (£3.4)
- Lipstick/Blusher: Essence lipstick in Coral Calling (£2)

Brushes:
- Catrice angled brush (£1)

- Catrice smokey eye brush (£1)

Total: £17.9 


UK based alternatives:

Concealer: Collection concealer 
Mascara: Miss Sporty mascara
Lipstick/Blusher: Sleek Lipstick
Brushes: Ecotools




Eyes: 








For the eyebrows I used the sandy brown and the darker brown in the middle. The lighter colour for the beginning of the eyebrows, the darker colour for the outer parts. I like a gradient brow because it looks a lot softer and more natural. 

For the eyes I made a soft and pretty, wearable look. I used the second from the top colour all over the lid as a shimmery base, and then used the coral colour next to it in the outer corners and the crease. Then to give the look a little bit more depth, I took the shimmering brown colour next to the coral and applied it in the outer corners and the lower lashline. 

To subtly line my eyes, I used an angled brush and the dark taupe, in between the brown and the black to make a very fine line. This look would look very nice with a winged eyeliner as well, but I opted for using something a bit softer. 

Face:



I used the concealer under my eyes, around the nose and on little spots that I wanted to hide. I also swiped some of the lipstick on the back of my hand so that I could apply it on my cheeks as a blush with my fingers, just like you would with a cream blush.




I finished it off with some mascara, and considered myself ready. 

So there we go, a look for under £20! I definitely succeeded at that, but do you think this look is appropriate to wear to the office? It's up to you whether I completed the challenge, so don't hesistate to state your opinion in the comments!


4 comments:

  1. die lipstick staat je erg pretty <3 super mooie look as always ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dankjewel! Haha volgens mij is iedereen verliefd op die lipstick, alle bloggers zijn er zo blij mee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you succeeded! I like the softer liner, it looks great on you and makes it totally appropriate for the office. I also like the fact that you chose colors from the same family, it looks so harmonic (is that the right word in English?) and calm, despite the fact that it's quite a bit of make up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That eyeshadow pallette looks great, I might just have to buy one haha! I have just done a few blog posts on sleek lipsticks and blushes so I would love it if you could check them out as I'm new to this whole blogging thing!
    http://thoughts-of-georgia.blogspot.co.uk/
    Georgia xo

    ReplyDelete