Friday, 20 September 2013

Review + Look: Sleek Ultra Mattes Darks Palette





I know I know, another Sleek product. You must be getting tired of it by now. I can't help it though, Sleek is one of my favourite budget brands! Anyway, I purchased one of these for a dutch exchange and then I couldn't resist but by myself one as well. As it was only about £8 and the colours looked gorgeous I forgave myself for it.

Sleek palettes are usually incredibly pigmented and of a quality much higher than its pricetag suggests, so to come across a palette that's all matte and has gorgeous deep colours is pretty special! I couldn't wait to see how Sleek performed.





First of all, they've really improved the packaging. The lid closes more firmly now and feels less flimsy, the mirror will actually stand up whereas in previous versions it would just kind of flop uselessly and snap shut. This feels much more controlled now. They've also gotten rid of the pattern on the eyeshadows itself, which I really like because I feel like they're  now smoother to the touch somehow. The full size mirror is definitely handy and when closed the palette doesn't take up much space at all.





I'm not going to pretend I'm enough of a smart cookie to actually know much about ingredients, but I thought it would be good to include them anyway. I do know that Mica is the pigment most eyeshadows are made with, and having it first in line is awesome because it promises awesome pigmentation. Talc can be either good or bad, it can make eyeshadows scratchy and prone to fallout but it can make them feel softer as well.





Personally, I really like the colour ranges. There's some really warm colours in there, but also some interesting cool tones and even a pure white! It's pretty damn hard to find a matte white that's nicely pigmented. I'm not convinced about the two yellow colours, they look a smidge too similar to me. Let's see how everything performed in the swatches though.


I made sure I did the swatches in the same order as the palette itself, so it should be a piece of cake to figure out which swatch belongs to which eyeshadow. As always, swatches are made with one application of eyeshadow but I've gone over my wrist multiple times to distribute the colour properly. No primer was used.





All of these colours performed really well, even the lighter ones were awesome! I especially like Orbit and Pillow Talk. Ink and Noir were a little bit scratchy and might cause some irritation on the eyes, but the rest of the colours were soft and buttery.





Good news here, I experienced no scratchy textures in any of the eyeshadows from this row! The pigmentation is - yet again - amazing, I can't believe the palette was this inexpensive with the quality I'm getting. Keep in mind that this is only one swatch, so if you build them up the opacity is going to be through the roof! I especially like Villain, Maple and Fern. Thunder is quite handy as a blending colour, Flesh and Paper Bag are good too but they're not that interesting. Still handy to have though.





Here's a look that I made with the palette to try out the colours in action. I used Orbit all over the lid, with Pillow Talk in the inner corners and on the browbone. Fern was used in the outer corners, crease and lower lashline and Ink was applied in the outer corners.






I am so very pleased with how it turned out! The colours blend easily and are so very pigmented. Fallout can be an issue, so use a light hand and make sure you tap off any excess product. The eyeshadows themselves are very true to pan and easy to combine. This is definitely a great palette for those who like dark, smokey looks!



Final Verdict:




For me, this is definitely a must buy. The price is amazing at only £8 and what you get in return is a palette full of incredibly pigmented and wonderfully matte eyeshadows. There are a few setbacks though. The eyeshadow is so pigmented that it's actually hard to build up, making it a bit daunting to use for beginners since it's so easy to mess up and hard to correct your mistakes. That kind of pigmentation also means fallout, although that is easily prevented by tapping off excess product, but it does mean that it can be a bit fussy to work with.


16 comments:

  1. Ik vind dat je één van de weinigen bent die weet welke makeup haar staat. Vaak vind ik vrouwen met makeup minder mooi, maar jou maakt het alleen maar nog mooier, vind ik erg knap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wauw, ik vind altijd je make-up looks echt prachtig. Jou staat volgens mij ook echt ALLES!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so looking forward to my package arriving. Have you gotten yours yet? Can't wait to recreate this look with my very own (first) Sleek palette. Hears to manu more exchanges to come! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not yet, but I'm sure it will be here soon! I got all your stuff together and will send it off soon as well. Some surprises in there too, hopefully you'll like it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aah dankjewel! Haha niet alles staat me hoor, ik maak ook super gefaalde dingen. Misschien ook wel eens leuk om een artikel over te doen. :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Het staat je inderdaad prachtig! Het merk is zeker niet verkrijgbaar in NL hè? Weer een excuus voor een tripje naar Londen! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw thanks, wat lief! Ik vind zelf vrouwen met natuurlijke make-up vaak ook mooier, alhoewel juist iets opvallends soms ook wel heel mooi kan zijn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dankjewel zeg! Haha ieder excuus is een goed excuus.:p Er zijn wel enkele nederlandse webshops waar je Sleek kunt kopen, zoals Misslipgloss haar shop en boozyshop.nl en in Groningen is er zelfs een winkel waar alles van het merk te koop is! Ik weet alleen zo gauw niet welke, maar de meiden van Livelifegorgeous hebben het er best vaak over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erg mooi! Sleek is zo goed in zijn pigment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bij Skins kan je het halen, maar ik ben er zelf nog nooit geweest. En in sommige afro-winkels, maar dat is heel random.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. sugarandmelancholy24 September 2013 at 20:42

    Is there any way you could do a step-by-step of that look? I have the palette and I'd love to try and recreate it, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I definitely could make a tutorial of this, no problem! I'll have it up in a couple of days. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Han, I looove this look and your review/swatches/look sold me on the palette! Would you be willing to do a tutorial for this on /r/makeupaddiction or your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw thank you so much! I made a tutorial about this look a while ago, here's the link for you! http://hantasticbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/tutorial-matte-smokey-eyes.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I'm just stupid! My palette is in the mail and I can't wait to try this look

    ReplyDelete