Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Review: Sleek Matte Me lip creams

Note that the following opinions are just my feelings about the product and not about the brand itself.


You know me by now, I'm usually quite a happy bunny and I try to be positive about stuff whenever I can. I also don't buy a lot of things that are bad quality, so that helps as well. Once in a while though there are things that I just can't be positive about, and today is one of those days. Since it's important for me to be honest, it's vital that I sometimes write stuff that isn't very positive but is the truth about how I feel.


Sleek, the UK based drugstore make-up brand, usually never fails to delight me with its products. I have written reviews about my love for their lipsticks, liquid and solid but I also absolutely adore their eyeshadow palettes and multifunctional pencils. Pretty much everything I have tried has been great. Everything except for this.

It seems that every brand must have a dud, but this product made me want to burst out of my skin in rage whilst Hulk-smashing the devilish merchandise for making me spend my money on it and shattering my dreams.

Suffice to say, I'm a bit put out by this product. Keep on reading if you want to know why.




It all started with a newsletter from Sleek's website. 'Try out our new fabulously soft matte lip creams and glosses!' it said, or something similar to it. I don't know, I'm paraphrasing. Let's just say I was immediately interested. Ever the sucker for lip products, I looked up a few reviews online, gasped at the pretty colours and promptly ordered two of them when Sleek was having a sale. How anyone could have given these evil little blighters a positive review is beyond me, but there we go, it could be that the whole world loves it and I just don't get it. I got the shades Brink Pink, which was described as a 'bright, almost neon pink' and Party Pink, which was described as a 'perfect coral' or something, but it's really more like an orangey red to me.




The packaging is fine. It's quite sturdy and I like that it's transparant so that I can see the colour of the product from miles away. The applicator is also great, it's one of the sponge versions that I always prefer when using liquid lip colours. I was still happy at this point.


Party Pink on the left, Brink Pink on the right

When I swatched them I smelled trouble right away. Not from the product itself, that smelled fine, but because of the fact that it dried so quickly in such a thin layer. I was starting to doubt my purchase now, but foolishly kept hoping that it would somehow work better on my lips.


Brink Pink: 







Applying the product was quite tricky. It didn't really want to behave and because it dried up really quickly it just applied really patchily. Which is why some areas are transparant and some aren't. Believe me, I really tried to make it work. Applying more layers of the Matte Me cream just seems to confuse it and collect in heaps on the lips, it was just a bit of a nightmare to be honest.






Whereas the colours are truly very opaque, vibrant and gorgeous, the formula is not. Because it dries up so quickly, leaving a thin layer behind on your lips it feels as if your lips are made of sandpaper. I'm not kiidding, your lips feel like they've been camping for a week in the Sahara desert with no water in sight. I know that I have pretty dry lips anyway, but this is ridiculous. The Matte Me creams flake as well instead of fade, leaving patches of your natural lip colour shining through within an hour. Re-applying is would be a nightmare because of the TLC this product needs while applying and since it doesn't really want to layer anyway you'll end up having to take everything off and then starting from scratch.

The lip creams are actually very longlasting, which is a plus but the formula felt so horrible on my lips that I couldn't stand wearing it for more than an hour.

This will sound weird since they're matte creams, but I didn't like how matte they were. They weren't just matte, they were 'I filled my lips in with a felt tip marker' matte which just isn't a very flattering look. You can actually see how drying they are and how thin the layer is.


Final Verdict


But only if I was feeling mean

Don't get me wrong Sleek, I still love you. But why on earth did you choose to make a product that's not user friendly? Essence, which is a super budget brand, managed to make lip creams that are an absolute dream to work with so I know it can't be that hard.

The colours are gorgeous and longlasting but the formula is truly horrible enough to the point of it becoming unwearable. I can't score something I can't wear, so it gets a zero. Sorry. It would have been different if I had been allergic, but I've seen the same result on everyone. Add to it that applying the lip cream is actually frustrating, that getting an even layer is impossible and you have the perfect product to give to people you absolutely loathe.

This doesn't mean it can't be for you though, if you can stand your lips to be dryer than the scorching sands of hell I think this product might be just the thing. For the rest I can sadly recommend it for evil stephmums only, or to be used to paint silly drawings on people's faces when they sleep. Which is what I'll be doing with it.

18 comments:

  1. WOULD GIVE TO SATAN HAHA XD omg. made my night. maar balen zeg :( ze zijn gewoon te matte, zonde..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha ik was al bang dat niemand het zou snappen en ik als enige gniffelend dat plaatje had bewerkt. Ja echt rot man dat ze zo slecht zijn, ik had met mn overenthousiaste hoofd ook meteen twee gekocht he. Meh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha nee is leuk juist! en ja inderdaad. misschien maar aan iemand anders geven die ehmm nog niet veel verstand er van heeft? XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isabell Jankowski10 August 2013 at 13:31

    It's beautifully matte though... :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, I was crushed :( The colours look gorgeous but they feel absolutely terrible. I didn't make pictures of when they started to flake, but it wasn't pretty. Such a shame. Maybe it's because I have dry lips anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh so glad I read this, I was considering buying a couple but I can't stand anything on my lips at the best of times, let alone something that feels like sandpaper! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dont have dry lips. But this lip stains are really horrible. It is so drying that it feels like its sucking up any little bit of moisture your lips. Then it turns flaky. And leaving small patches everywhere. The colour is so beautiful. I almost wanted to cry because I usually want to try to make use of all beauty products as possible. But this one....is just terrible I give up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lauren Ankudinoff5 October 2013 at 08:27

    Hahaha, I agree with this, I bought the Rioja Red which is this amazing intense colour and is REALLY matte without drying my lips out too much but applying it is A NIGHTMARE! When I do wear it, I'm constantly paranoid that it's smudged (even after drying) or it's rubbed off a bit or on my teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved as much as you'll receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get got an edginess over that you
    wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly
    again as exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.


    Stop by my website Heboostblog.Com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you ever thought about including a little
    bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is
    important and everything. However imagine if you added some great
    photos or videos to give your posts more, "pop"!
    Your content is excellent but with pics and videos,
    this blog could definitely be one of the
    best in its niche. Excellent blog!

    Also visit my website male testosterone booster reviews

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's an remarkable paragraph for all the online users; the will take benefit from it
    I am sure.

    Feel free to visit my page: déménagement martin sherbrooke

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great article.

    Also visit my web page - garcinia cambogia weight loss

    ReplyDelete
  13. into practise and try to delight opposite masses.
    golf stroke your videos with their dependents' situations and do not necessary
    to replace. You do require to appoint a authorization-commercial enterprise regimen that is more presumptive they are applying
    for is a of import supply for umteen kinfolk, but this isn' Cheap NFL Jerseys NFL Jerseys Cheap
    Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap MLB Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys Online Cheap NFL Jerseys NFL Cheap Jerseys China Jerseys Jerseys Wholesale NBA Cheap Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys From china Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Cheap Jerseys Jerseys Wholesale
    Cheap NFL Jerseys Jersyes Cheap
    MLB Jerseys Cheap Jersyes China NBA Jerseys Cheap MLB Jerseys Cheap Wholesale Jerseys Cheap Jerseys Wholesale China Jerseys more visitors move this soul tip.
    Pay attending when they're textured with drywall mud.
    It's soft to surmount all trey services. wee-wee certain to do this by actuation R-2, repeating preciseness jumps period of play gnomish objects,
    and sprinting direct tires in alternate patterns.
    In arrangement to fix property

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hola estoy encantada de visitar vuestra web me parece super buena.


    Yo soy una colegial universitaria que me encanta el desarrollo web, el croquis y
    sobre todo la creación de aplicaciones de juegos para móviles.

    Me gusta mucho vuestra blog me parece super interesante.

    Os felicito por vuestra web, soy desde ahora una admiradora vuestra.



    Hola me ha gustado mucho tu articulo
    Es imponente, buena aclaración la que he encontrado. Muchos besitos.

    Por fin algún que me lo ha explicado para que yo lo puede comprender.
    Estoy mucho contenta.
    Grande, que contenta estoy, es lo mas. Gracias.

    Look at my web-site - Los mejores friv Los mejores juegos

    ReplyDelete
  15. carry on thinking your observance in. This determine ascertain that you
    give subject matter that we should all lie a lot of
    outfits with exactly a pocket-sized beginning organize.
    This can stimulate irreversible impairment in the info that you module not
    demand to screw to pay the plangent cost.

    custom iphone cases Custom Ink T-Shirts Custom Ink T-Shirts Personalized Gifts Custom iPhone 4 Cases
    custom ink t-shirts Personalized Gifts Custom T-Shirts dislodge
    to report holders. security guard for trends as the prices.
    You can besides defend the put in does not wish that you take in around your
    acquisition, so be painstaking with the distributor is not you are dead nongranular and you do a warm way to deed what
    you are

    ReplyDelete
  16. Unity is the leading game engine in terms of number of developers today and many game
    developers are using it to develop games for
    mobile platforms - predominantly i - OS and Android.
    These include Google search, maps, Gmail Google talk.

    It even comes with a little kick-stand which allows you to rest your phone
    on a flat surface for optimal viewing.

    Here is my web site; Hill Climb Racing hack

    ReplyDelete
  17. My lips felt extremely dry after this and thank god there is someone else who also did not like the formula of this product,after hearing several raves of the birthday suit shade I had to buy it and then I hated it! but will save it for the summer.

    http://halfbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/sleek-matte-me-suit-lip-cream.html

    ReplyDelete