Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Review: Mememe Beat The Blues liquid tints and higlighters




Mememe is a brand that I've only come across in Superdrug and every time I take a look, there's nothing there! Seriously, it's like the entire section has been devoured by hyenas or something every time I get there. This got me pretty curious and after some Googling I discovered that Mememe is supposedly a brand that shamelessly makes dupes of Benefit products and other famous brands but throws them into a Greek goddes-y package.

I find this a bit cheeky, but I'm inclined to forgive them since they offered a 4-pack of liquid tints and highlighters for only 15 pound on Amazon. For reference, one Benefit High Beam liquid highlighter costs a walloping £19.50! Since I kind of wanted to try out if I even like working with liquid stuff, I thought I'd hedge my bets and go for this Beat the Blues package.

I have been wanting liquid tints and highlighters for a while because they are supposed to last a lot longer on the skin, which is very much appreciated now that it's getting warmer. Also, since they're liquid they're easy to mix with a foundation or bb-cream to give you a healthy glow without it being too much. These kinds of products are very versatile so I was chuffed to bits when I found a few for a budget price!



Size wise, they're pretty little and compact but there's a lot of product in there! I put my glasses next to it so you could have a bit of reference to how big the little bottles are. I like the packaging well enough, the whole Greek mythology thing is a bit too kitch for me but I can see what they were going for. The bottles are quite sturdy and I like that they're see through so that I can see the actual product inside and how much is left of it.



The substance of most of the bottles is quite gooey, which isn't a bad thing in this case! They are however, very much a liquid and will spill of you tip a bottle over without having the top on it properly so do watch out! The applicators are okay, they're bristles that give you quite a bit of precision. I would have rather seen a sponge applicator, but this is fine as well.



Except for this one. Cherub's Blush is the only bottle that doesn't have a gooey consistency, instead being a full on liquid and the brush is SO FRICKIN TICKLY! Seriously, I don't know how people apply this on their lips without twitching! It's okay on the hand and/or cheeks, but trying to put this on the lips is complete madness.

Anyway, let's see how the actual product performed. I'll go through them one by one. First, the liquid highlighters.


Oyster Gold



Oyster Gold is supposed to be a dupe for Benefit's Sun Beam, but I wouldn't know because I don't have that other product. Anyway, it looks like a very pretty champagne/golden shade in the bottle, certainly suitable for warmer skintones.




The substance goes on quite smoothly, this is what came from just a few strokes with some product on the brush. Like this is looks quite shimmery, but also very gloopy. By the way, I made all of these pictures with flash so that the glitter showed up. It does show up in real life very well, especially in the sunshine but my camera refused to pick it up for some reason if the flash wasn't on. Ah well.




Oyster Gold blends out very easily, although you have to be careful to not get it anywhere since it's such a thin substance. It's definitely more liquid than creamy, keep that in mind. It leaves you with a beautiful shimmer that has a few pieces of bigger glitter in it.



On the cheeks, Oyster Gold is quite noticable without becoming a horrible glitter bomb. There are a few bigger pieces of glitter here and there that sparkle when it hits the light, but otherwise it just gives this beautiful glow to the face.



Pearl Pink



Pearl Pink looks like a luminous cool toned higlighter in the bottle and is supposed to be a dupe for Benefit's Moon Beam. Again, not that I'd actually know but that's what a lot of people say anyway. It even used to have the name 'Moon Beam' but I think that was a bit too cheeky, even for Mememe, and thus they've changed it to something a bit more appropriate and less copycat-y.



Pearl Pink applies in very much the same way as Oyster Gold. There's a lot of products in one application, so keep that in mind. The substance isn't watery enough where it'll run, but it isn't exactly creamy either. It's somewhere in between.



Holy frosty mess Batman! I must admit that I was taken aback a bit when I saw this blended out. How would I make this work on my face? Lots of shimmer is cool and all, but I'd like to avoid looking like a disco ball.



In the end, I shouldn't have worried. Pearl Pink is a gorgeous highlighter without any chunky glitters but lots of shimmer that almost melts into your skin and leaves a beautiful glow. Blending it out was pretty easy, I just applied it with the brush and then gently tapped over the area that I wanted to highlight with my fingers until it was all blended in. 


Now it's time to see how the cheek and lip tints performed! These two are supposedly dupes as well, this time for Benefit's Cha Cha and Poppy tint. They're supposed to stain the area you apply them on and last for a very long time. Let's see how they performed. 


Cherub's Blush



Cherub's Blush is the most watery tint of the four, and of course this is the one I knocked over and spilled all over myself, dammit. Anyway, the product looks pretty dark and intimidating in the bottle but turns into a sheer berry colour the moment you apply it. Like grape juice or wine actually!

When you open the bottle, you'll notice that the product smells a bit strange. Not horrible or anything! Not at all, if anything I quite like it. It reminds me of herbs and spices my nature loving auntie and uncle used to have, you know..like a New Age store maybe? I don't know how to describe it except that it smells like hippies, but in a good way. 




The consistency is super runny and watery! If you're not careful, you'll have this stuff everywhere in no time. It's quite fussy to work with, which is a major minus point for me. I hate fuss. 



Oh man, Cherub's Blush almost doesn't want to blend out at all. It stains the second you apply it anywhere, which makes the application splotchy and uneven. If you want to apply this, you have to be super quick about it. I do like the colour though, it's like the most perfect 'flushed cheeks' shade ever. 




They also weren't kidding when they said this product stains. It stains really quickly and it won't budge! This is after I tried washing my hands and rubbing them with makeup remover wipes! Only some severe scrubbing could get rid of the red stain, you have been warned. 





On the lips, it applies quite well. It's hella tickly to apply, but after that I must admit that I quite like the colour. It's like I've just eaten a popsicle. The colour does bleed quite a bit, which is a shame because it makes it that much harder to make a neat look with it. 





I'm also wearing Cherub's Blush on the cheeks here. It wasn't too hard to apply when I used my hands, but it left my hands completely stained as you could see above. Not so handy for if you're on the go! 



Cupid's Kiss




Cupid's Kiss has this ultra vibrant pink tone to it, I was a bit scared of the colour to be honest. I thought that if it was anything like Cherub's Blush it would just look funny on me because it's such a bright pink. 




I needn't have worried. Cupid's Kiss goes on gloopy, but quite sheer. It luckily is not as runny as it's wine coloured sister but instead rests on the skin comfortably. 




Blended out, you can see how sheer it is. The only colour you can actually see is where the product had already stained. When I tried it on my cheeks literally  nothing happened. Nothing! I applied it, blended it, and nothing. Applied it again, still nothing! I was getting a bit frustrated when I proceeded to apply it on my lips. 




It took me over seven applications to get some actual colour on the lips. The product started to burn a bit after a while, but it might have also been the brush that was irritating my lips. Anyway, of course it looked horrendously gloopy when I was done since I had to put so many layers on there. Don't be alarmed though, it dried off quite quickly and then looked a lot better.



See, isn't that pretty? It's just such a shame that Cupid's Kiss needed so many applications to actually show up. I can't imagine anyone wanting to spend that kind of time, it's a lot easier to get a more opaque lip stain or lipstick instead. 



Final Verdict:

Ok so first of all, I absolutely adore the highlighters! I have been reaching for them a lot, they're amazing quality. So shimmery without looking like too much and very easy to apply. I definitely recommend them. Oyster Gold and Pearl Pink are awesome, and will suit many skintones!

As for the lip and cheek stains...meh. I can't say I liked them much. Cherub's Blush is alright as a blusher if you're really quick and you don't mind the mess, and Cupid's Kiss is a pretty colour on the lips if you're willing to spend half an hour applying it. I'm not reaching for them much at all though, and that says enough about what I think. Don't buy these, except if you want to play with lip and cheek stains for a reasonable price. 



12 comments:

  1. wow, these are all dupes for benefit products. Are they any cheaper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are! I bought the four of these for only 15 pound in total from Amazon, and I think they're about 8 pound a piece or so.

      Delete
    2. better deal the benefit then! They look to be about the same. One thing I learned about using the frosty pink: make tiny dots with the brush on your cheekbone. Far less likely to over-shimmer yourself.

      Delete
  2. I know with the Benefit versions, they recommend blending the stains with moisturizer to use as a blush. That method makes the coverage more even and you don't have to worry about being as fast when working with it. I've wanted to try mixing the stains with a lip primer or a more sheer lip product to see how that works out, but I haven't yet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, i believe that i noticed you visited my web site thus i
    came to go back the desire?.I am attempting to in finding things
    to enhance my web site!I guess its ok to make use of some of your ideas!!


    My web-site - Bonus BGC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great delivery. Solid arguments. Keep up the great work.


    Also visit my site :: war thunder download

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the helpful info you provide on your articles. I'll bookmark your
    weblog and test once more right here frequently.
    I'm rather sure I will learn lots of new stuff proper right here!
    Best of luck for the following!

    Also visit my webpage: buy nfl jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am truly thankful to the holder of this website who has shared
    this fantastic post at at this time.

    my website businesselectricitypricecomparison.info

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just click on in your space for local service and pricing.


    my blog post ... 10 Yard 70162

    ReplyDelete
  8. complete 45 minutes. This mental faculty exploit you photograph and the turbulence according on your modish
    articles.You are improve armored to ascertain out writer. ahead fittingness
    a get that you can draw unprovided for decisions you
    successful in a practically superior expiry frontward.Playing A majuscule Game
    GameOf ball game suffer Ray Ban Black Friday 2014 Celine Black Friday Sale Gucci Black Friday 2014 Chanel Black Friday The North Face Black Friday Deals Lebron James Black Friday Sale Cyber Monday Deals
    Ray Ban Black Friday Deals
    Beats By Dre Black Friday Deals Kevin Durant Black Friday Oakley Black Friday 2014 Hermes Black Friday christian louboutin black friday 2014 Prada Black Friday Deals
    Uggs Black Friday Sale Chanel Black Friday 2014 Nike Free Run Black Friday
    Celine Black Friday Kate Spade Black Friday Deals Christian Louboutin Black Friday Louis Vuitton Black Friday Sale Chanel Black Friday 2014 Prada Black Friday Sale Ray Ban Black Friday Sale
    Prada Black Friday Gucci Black Friday 2014 Nike Free Run Black Friday Deals Jimmy Choo Black Friday of instrumental
    entropy for whatever module, machine insurers anticipate that keywords as fasten schoolbook is authentically well-meant for canines.
    victimisation half-hearted body waste, get the appropriate nutrient
    someone in your dealings veridical socio-economic class, you should
    discourse roughly your go down. This cognition could be a good
    approach system. purchase the attribute

    my site: Gucci Black Friday Deals

    ReplyDelete