Tuesday, 2 July 2013

Review: Maybelline Colour Tattoos




It might not come as a surprise to you, but the Maybelline Color Tattoos have been massively popular this last year or so amongst many beauty lovers. The sturdy pots filled with cream eyeshadow can be used as a base under your usual eyeshadow or be used as you would an eyeshadow itself. Once they're on, they stay on. For a really, really long time without smudging or smearing.

The packaging is a bit bulky, but I'm actually kind of happy about that. It makes the shadows sturdier, and I like the fact that they're stackable as well. This way they take up less space. What I also like is that you can see what colour it is from the outside, although the colour is also described on the lid. The pots are pretty big as well! It's very easy to get a finger or brush into, and even after owning some of them more than a year I've hardly made a dent in it. These will last me a long time.





There are many colours available, but I own these six of them. The names are different in Europe and the US, but the colours are the same. That's why I won't mention any names in this article but I'll just talk about the colours instead and I hope that this way it'll cause less confusion. As you can see there's a silver, a shimmery blue/lavender, a bronze, a matte taupe shade, a shimmery pink and a turquoise.





The textures differ a bit, but none of them are gloopy or easy to press in. Some are more creamy than others though, especially the matte taupe shade is not very creamy and has a tougher consistency to it.


Swatch without flash

Swatch with flash


I swatched them as I usually do with eyeshadows, by dipping my finger in the pan once and going over my wrist in one stroke. All of these swatches are after one application, so you could build the colour up to a more opaque shade if you wanted to. Some of the tattoos are more opaque than others. Especially the bronze, pink and the taupe shade perform very well. I'm a bit disappointed with the blue/lavender shade, I had hoped it would be beautifully opaque and holographic like in the packaging but unfortunately it's a bit sheer. The silver colour turns into something quite beautiful though with the flash on it, I hadn't expected that shimmer when I saw it in the pot.

It should be noted that since I purchased them, I've used these cream eyeshadows very often. They're very easy to use - just blend them out with your fingers - and stay put all day. I love fuss free products!

The bronze is a personal favourite for everyday neutral looks, and the taupe is my staple darkest colour for my eyebrows. I don't have oily lids whatsoever so products hardly ever crease on me, and I'm happy to announce that the colour tattoos didn't crease either. They are however, not waterproof although they hold up pretty well against water and smudging.

Final Verdict:

I believe that the Maybelline Colour Tattoos are really great overall but some of them are better than others. All of them stay well on the lids for a very long time and are thus useful as a base, but not all of them are opaque or smooth to apply. Some of them apply a bit patchily because of the sheerness, and it can take a while to blend them out. That said, they are still really great cream eyeshadows for a very affordable price. If I had to recommend one, definitely pick up the bronze. It's such a flattering shade for almost anyone and it's so very versatile.

The Maybelline Colour Tattoos are sold in many drugstores throughout the world for about £5 a pop.


5 comments:

  1. I have the turquoise...and meh. But I kinda want that pink now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it as an accent, it can be lovely under the eyes as a pop of colour and as a base for blue colours..but on its own it's kinda meh indeed. It's quite sheer and hard to get a solid colour from.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love the taupe one and bronze one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yes those are my favourites as well!

      Delete
  3. ik vind de bronze kleur mooi! sowieso heb ik meestal wel een zwak voor bronze kleurtjes. :)

    ReplyDelete