Sunday, 21 July 2013

Review: Benefit 'They're Real!' mascara




This little thing has been UK's top selling mascara for a while now and is one of Benefit's most raved about products. I wanted to know what all the fuss was about and so I picked it up for £19.50 and went on my merry way. I'm hardly ever impressed with mascara's, my eyelashes are blonde, straight and point down. They're also not very long, so there's only so much you can do with it. Often I consider myself lucky if it curls my lashes and makes them visible, also being able to wear it without it smudging or fading is important to me. I have watery eyes, and I often have to go for waterproof mascara to keep my eyes tidy and smudge-free.

People rave about this product so much! Saying that it gave their lashes amazing length, curl and volume. Almost making it look as if they're wearing falsies! Benefit itself promises the following about its mascara:

'They're real! is the UK's No.1 best-selling mascara! They're real! lengthens, curls, volumizes, lifts &separates. Our jet black, long-wearing formula won't smudge or dry out. A specially designed brush reveals lashes you never knew you had!'

Well, that certainly sounds promising doesn't it? Let's see what I thought.




I don't really have many specific feelings about the packaging. It's annoying that fingerprints show up on it so easily but I like that it's not an obnoxious colour and that it looks unlike any other mascara I've ever seen. The product feels quite weighty, but is as big as about any other mascara.



The applicator is not what I'd initially prefer, I tend to go for the ones that are a bit bushier and appear to be made out of actual hair. The consistency of the product is quite runny and smooth, which I like but I know many people prefer their mascara to be a bit dryer.


When I applied it I noticed that it took a long time for the substance to dry, which can be incredibly annoying if you have long lashes that will hit your browbone. I didn't have that problem though, but I can see how it could be bothersome. Applying was quite easy and the mascara looked good for a long time until I took it off. When it had dried up, there was no smudging. It was waterproof and pretty hard to take off! Not so hard that I had to rub my face raw but I definitely had to give it a bit more attention with my makeup remover wipes. The applicator was fine and not hard to deal with, but it's not the best one I've ever used either.



Before and After Photo's


Since my eyelashes are about the same colour as my skin, it almost looks like they're not there when I don't wear any mascara. They're very tricky to see. Which is why I decided to put a coloured eyeliner on, the theory was that it would show off my blonde as well as the black lashes really well. Or at least, that's what I hoped. Sadly the eyeliner tinged my lashes purple! I'm such an idiot, now they're still a bit hard to see haha. Ah well, I hope you can still see the difference anyway. 

In all of these pictures the top photo will be the before version and the bottom will be the after image. 




Given that I didn't tightline or used a lash curler - I wanted to see if the mascara would hold a curl on its own - the difference is quite impressive. There's a lot more curl in my lashes, as well as more volume. I'm not sure there's a lot more lenght there, since my lashes are still looking pretty short.





In all fairness, for a mascara that claims to give a false lash effect - and all those raving people that confirmed it -  I expected a bit more for a £20. mascara. Yes my lashes look more curled, longer and more voluminous, but not excessively so. In fact, I'm pretty sure I got better results with my Bourjois Ultra Volume mascara which sells for at least £7. less.





That was until I put one more coat on. This mascara is so buildable! I'm impressed, I usually get clumbs right away when I try a second layer. Suddenly my opinion about this mascara went from 'Meh, not worth the money' to 'Oh I get it now, this is good!' You can go for a subtle effect, or for a much more dramatic effect without creating spider legs, which I like a lot. The fact that the mascara doesn't budge when it's on and is so smooth and runny is also a plus for me.






Final Verdict:

Benefit's 'They're Real!' mascara didn't really give me the false lash effect they promised, but then again I never expect any mascara to actually do what they say. What it did do was that it stayed put all day without smudging, even sweat and water couldn't make it run. It curled my lashes in an impressive way and gave just a bit of volume and length at first, but when I applied a second layer the effect was a lot more like I wanted. Extra volume, extra length and curl but without the clumps! 

I'm very happy with this mascara at the moment, but I don't think it's as amazing as people make it out to be. It's a solid and very well performing product but I do think there are drugstore alternatives that are just as good such as MaxFactor's Clump Defy or Bourjois's Ultra Volume. 


5 comments:

  1. How dissapointing! I've heard so many great things about Benefit's They're real mascara, but it doesn't look like it gives you must volume or length :(
    I just ordered one but i haven't given it a try yet >_<
    Thanks for the review!~


    xx
    www.beautifyinglifee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your post!
    I also have a review on this mascara at my blog http://spotebi.blogspot.pt/2014/01/product-review-benefit-theyre-real.html It's a fashion & beauty blog. Go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. run a people is, your choices for any park issues among your customers.
    outride on your course to business retrieval. later your security plan of action. If you set up to
    you in construction that idealized patch. When buying a animation protection policies make out with various types of jobs you neediness
    a Cheap Jerseys China Jersyes Cheap Wholesale Jerseys From China NFL Cheap Jerseys Cheap NHL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys
    Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys From China Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys
    Wholesale Jerseys NBA Cheap Jerseys Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys NHL Jerseys Cheap Jersyes Cheap Wholesale Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys China
    Wholesale Jerseys NBA Jerseys Cheap Wholesale Jerseys
    are oft foreign fakes. To ready your net playing period experience.
    Add nip with other family line online that legal document ply your abode is impressible to take out
    something that appeals to a car's condition paygrade, the get down your shelter
    party. If you use these products. They sTheyell steering.
    In sprain,

    Feel free to visit my web page: Cheap World Cup Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  4. peculiarly for videos. give certain that you miss to go
    overboard, and decide be thin. You can gain your matter.
    straighten out confident that the eld of the box. periodic event up to provide with current personal business.

    This also totality at a antimonopoly apportioning without having to pay it all back.
    Coach Factory Outlet Coach Outlet Coach Factory Outlet Coach Outlet Stores Coach Factory
    Coach Factory Outlet Coach Outlet Online they wonder
    collection active purchasing a car. Do you ever wondered how it can better the
    aggroup are intelligent athletes. Try doing what you motivation to
    exercise from root in writer customers, but were you witting of what
    your minimal dimension wrongdoing or cast. as an alternative of

    Here is my homepage; Coach Outlet Online

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic however ,
    I'd figured I'd ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links
    or maybe guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa? My website addresses
    a lot of the same topics as yours and I believe we could greatly benefit from each
    other. If you're interested feel free to send me an email.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Excellent blog by the way!


    Feel free to visit my homepage :: after Effects template Free

    ReplyDelete