Saturday, 8 June 2013

Beauty Experiment: Romantic Goth




I personally am quite a sucker for extreme makeup looks. I love it when people dare to be different. Harajuku girls? Awesome. Decora? Awesome. Goths? Awesome! When I was a bit younger I - like many teenagers - had an emo phase where I wore copious amounts of black kohl pencil on my waterline and thought no one understood me because I was different from everyone else. I thought I was special. Which was, to be honest, a pretty shitty attitude to have. Now that I've grown up a little I understand that dressing up differently doesn't really make you all that special, it's just another way to express yourself. In a way, we are all special little snowflakes! But in that same way we are all essentially not that different, and thinking that you're better or worse than someone because of your style is just silly. Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent here! Let's discuss why I suddenly decided to experiment with black lips, shall we?



As much as I like, nay - love - the extreme gothic looks with the dark lips and heavily made up eyes I kind of wanted to try something different. Something a bit softer. Super dark lips can make you look so severe  and tends to suck all the colour from your skin. Making you look paler, sallow and frankly a bit sickly. I wondered if I could make it look more romantic instead, whilst still of course having that edge to it that I love about alternative styles.


Eyes




I kept the eyes very soft, with a Maybelline Colour Tattoo in Pink Gold as a base all over the lid,  Virgin from the Naked palette in the inner corners as a higlighter, Toasted from that same palette in the outer corners and crease and Buck in the outer corners. I tightlined my upper lashline with my Scandaleyes black kohl pencil and the lower waterline with the nude version, to open my eyes and give them a brighter, more awake look.


Cheeks




Since black lips made me look lifeless straight away, I tried to get some colour back into my face by using a very light pink blush. I used quite a lot more than I usually would, and I feel that for this look it was definitely necessary to give it a softer vibe. I applied it on the apples of my cheeks and blended it upwards and outwards. 


As for the lips...I used gel liner of all things! I didn't own a black lipstick and my gel liner was just kind of there so yeah, I improvised. I don't recommend it, applying it is very difficult and it dries your lips out like crazy. It is good for if you just want to look and see if black lipstick would suit you though! Just make sure you don't ingest anything, it's probably not very good for you. 


I like the outcome of the experiment, I personally think it doesn't look too dark or harsh. I don't know if I would go out like this though, but it is certainly a fun idea if you just want to try something different. Wearable? Not quite for me, black lipstick is still for the brave I think. One day I'll be enough of a badass to pull it off, but not this day. Until then, I'll rock the black lips indoors and feel fabulously villainous. 


8 comments:

  1. Wat een bijzondere look, leuk dat je dit soort dingen uitprobeert :)! En wat heb je een prachtige haarkleur zeg, heel bijzonder!

    Liefs van Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankjewel zeg! Haha ik hou wel van een beetje experimenteren, fijn om te weten dat het gewaardeerd wordt!

      Delete
  2. I actually really like the black. Maybe to make it a bit more wearable, you could try an ombre effect with it and a soft, feminine color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh that's a very good idea, I wonder if it would work with a baby pink. It could also vamp up every 'normal' lip I think for a bit of an edge.

      Delete
  3. Zwarte lips zijn gewaagd! Ik heb een aantal donkere lipsticks liggen en daar twijfel ik ook erg over of ik het in het openbaar ooit zou dragen. Maar zwart zou ik zeker niet durven haha xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ja ik vind ze fantastisch maar niet zo draagbaar inderdaad. Qua kleur misschien nog wel, maar dan zou ik nog de hele tijd checken of de boel niet uitgelopen is. Bij donkere lipstick zie je dat ook meteen zo goed.

      Delete