Thursday, 23 May 2013

Pinspiration : Blue eyeshadow

Pinned Image






If there's ever an eyeshadow colour that gets bad rep, it's blue. 'Blue eyeshadow is so wrong!' 'Blue is so dated, so 80's.' 'Blue eyeshadow wasn't pretty then, and it isn't pretty now!' are actual quotes that I read and hear everywhere. Poor blue, so misunderstood. I know that this particular colour was used and abused to an extreme amount when it was popular -and I know that it wasn't very pretty then- but that doesn't mean you can't make it work! Blue can brighten complexions a huge amount and can play very nicely with other colours. Let me show you what I mean.

Very Wearable




Pinned Image

A little pop of cyan can really freshen up a look. The crisp eyeliner makes sure that the blue doesn't overpower everything and makes this a very vibrant and pretty daytime look. I love this!

Pinned Image

This cobalt blue look really makes the eyes stand out, especially if you have hazel eyes! Navy and cobalt blues really bring out the golden tones in hazel eyecolours. I think this looks very modern, a bit edgy without going overboard.


♥
Source: Makeupgeek.com


Pinned Image

For a pop of colour, you could also line your waterline with blue to spice up an otherwise neutral look. I think it makes cut creases and cat eyes that little bit more modern, blue also has a tendency to make the whites of your eyes look brighter. The blue will stand out even more in these looks because they're mainly using very warm colours, whereas blue is distinctly cold. This means that there's a warm/cold contrast going on, where both colour families strengthen eachother, which is great if you want the colours to stand out more!


Pinned Image
Source: Myfamilyinspires.net

This stormy blue eyeshadow look is very striking without being too overpowering. When you use a blueish grey combined with silver shades, it's a lot easier to pull off without it looking uninteresting or boring. I think this is a great look for cool-toned ladies who like a soft smokey eye for the daytime.


A Bit More Daring:


Pinned Image

Spice up a retro look by doing a double liner with the top lined blue! I think this makes it look quite a bit more modern. Cyan also goes splendidly with red tones since they make eachother more powerful.

Pinned Image
Source: Flickr.com

Now this is leaning more to the teal section, but I still wanted to add it because I'm so in love with the combination of bronze and blues. I think this will look especially lovely in the hotter months because these particular colours often remind us of tropical oceans and sandy shores.




Pinned Image
Source: Tumblr

This look is very similar, except the teals are combined with purples, blacks and even white. Purple hues and blue shades often play very nicely together because purple always has a little bit of blue in it. These sort of looks can look very harmonious and pretty, especially if both shades have the same undertone.



Pinned Image
Source: preen.me

As I've said above, dark blues can really bring out the golden tones in hazel eyes. To make them look greener, a deep purple has been used on the waterline. This intense look is great if you're going clubbing but if you want to tone down the intensity a bit, I'd use a highlight in the inner corners so the eye opens up a little bit and looks brighter. 

Pinned Image
Source: Beautylish.com




This look is one of my absolute favourites. The subtle gradient from blue to purple and finally a warm taupe is absolutely stunning. Such a dream-like combination!


Pinned Image
Source: Instagram

What a wonderfully different look! Bright liner above and under the eye with mascara in the same tones. Also note the pearly pink highlight in the inner corner and the neutral coloured crease shade. Gorgeous.



Pinned Image
Source: Makeupbeauty Tumblr

I think this look is so cool and edgy. The violet-like blue, smoked out beautifully and then topped off with studded lashes. How awesome! 



Pinned Image
Source: Eyeshadowlipstick

I cannot get over how much I love this look, with the icy blues contrast beautifully with her warm skintone and eye colour. I think it suits her really well and I like how they've kept the rest of her face very neutral. Also, I have no idea if her freckles are real or not, but I think it really ties in the look. So pretty.


Pinned Image
Source: Makeupbeauty

This explosions of colours is perhaps only for the daredevils amongst us, but I must say that I really like the colour choice. The orange and yellow on the bottom contrast beautifully with the cyan and magenta on top, and I love how the winged liner feathers out to the darker shadow. 

Unwearable Gorgeousness


Now, I don't think I'd wear the following looks out - except perhaps for a photoshoot - but I still think they're very inspiring to look at. It'd be rude not to share! 

Pinned Image
Source: Beauty-boks.com


Pinned Image
Source: Bloom.com


Pinned Image
Source: Eyeshadowlipstick


Pinned Image
Source: Eyeshadowlipstick



So, are you naysayers still convinced blue is supposed to stay in the 80's? I sure hope not, but if all of these beautiful looks couldn't convince you, then I don't think anything will.

Don't forget to follow me on Pinterest if you want to see more inspirational pictures!






Sources: All images have been found on Pinterest unless stated otherwise. 



No comments:

Post a Comment