Wednesday, 29 May 2013

Korean-style gradient lips trend: Yay or nay?





Since a few months or so this gradient lips look has become very popular, especially in Asian countries. I think the trend really took off when a few Korean Drama actresses started sporting the look on - and later off - screen, and I've been seeing it more and more. The trend makes sense to me, the flushed stain looks as if it's caused by a lollipop and gives a youthful and innocent air to a face. It also helps that it makes the lips look smaller, which in turn makes the eyes more pronounced. It's not a coincidence that the big doe-eyed look is extremely popular in Asian popculture as well, so everything that plays up the eyes is very welcome. The ideal beauty in most Asian cultures has a small face with delicate features, big eyes and a pale skin, so it's no wonder the gradient lips have become such a big trend. 


Yoon Eun Hye, a popular South Korean actress
I must say that personally, I really like gradient lips done this way. It gives the lips such a lovely 'just bitten' stain and it stands out without overshadowing all of the other features. I can't say that I'm a huge fan of the cutesy look that is so popular in most Asian countries, but it suits some girls very well. 


Source: Rinnieriot.blogspot.com


Creating the gradient lips isn't too tricky, you just need a nude lipstick (or concealer) a red lipcolour and a clear gloss. I love how this tutorial above illustrates how subtle the gradient can be, also notice that the lips look a a bit thinner afterwards, so this look should be great for the ladies amongst us who have those lusciously big lips. It might work on thin lips too though, try it out! You never know. 


Even though this model doesn't have very full lips, the gradient still looks very lovely on her.
I think that if you do try this look out, it would be best to keep the rest of the makeup clean and simple. Basically like the girls in the pictures all have. I tend to look very washed out when I try anything even remotely like a nude lip, so I don't know if this look will suit me. Time will tell though, I'll definitely take a swing at it. 

Verdict:


A big effing YAY! I really love this look and I hope the western world picks it up as well. I think it's especially great for the summer since it looks so fresh and light. I really like this trend! 

What do you think?




1 comment:

  1. I always do this look, it's the only lip style that actually suits me. I don't have huge lips, but it looks nice. :)

    ReplyDelete