Wednesday, 29 May 2013

EOTD: Autumn Sunsets







Orange, red and rusty colours are often a bit hard to use on the eye, mostly because they have a tendency to make the eye area look irritated or tired. However, I still wanted to try using colours like this! It was miserable outside today and I longed for some warmth in my pasty face. I started off this look thinking 'ok..and this time I will not go mental and just make a nice neutral eye...' NOPE. What started out as an attempt to a warm everyday look became a sultry dramatic eye in the same tones as my hair.



That isn't to say however, that I don't like it. I do like it, I like it a lot! It's a fair bit warmer than what I usually attempt and boy is it flattering. It made the rest of my face glow and look a lot healthier! This look might not be very appropriate for during the day although I'd still wear it anyway. (Watch out..we've got a badass over here!) I think this look will suit a lot of people, especially those with warmer undertones. Want to know how I did it? I'll explain below!

Picture source: Sleek's website since my own palette looked like a hot mess

I largely made the whole look using the Sleek Sunset Palette that I bought on Ebay. This palette has lovely rusty and red tones, ideal for this look! I used the third shade from above all over the lid, combined with the gold as a highlighter in the inner corners. I used a mix of orange, rust and red in the crease and blended it out with an off-white and taupe from another palette. I used a smidge of the black to define my outer crease and to give the look a bit more definition. I kept blending and adding more colours until I was completely satisfied. Under the eye I used the dark colour next to the black combined with the light rust colour in the middle. 



I lined the eyes as close to the lashline as I could so that the eyeliner wouldn't take up too much space. I thought a big line would overpower the look, and I always think it's such a waste when I've blended out my eyeshadow and then the eyeliner covers all your hard work. If you have more lidspace it should be fine though, I envy you!




I also lined the waterline with black gel liner, this is my top trick on how to make your dramatic eyes look fierce instead of droopy. Like I said earlier, orange and red tones tend to make your eyes look very tired when you use them under the eye. Using black on the waterline creates some sort of barrier between your eyes and the makeup so that everything is pulled together nicely. It does make your eyes look smaller though, so do take that into consideration. A bright higlight in the inner corners might negate that effect a bit and will also make your eyes look brighter. 

All in all, I'm very pleased! I wonder what you think, do you love using coppery tones as well? 




Also there was this unbelievably unflattering picture and it made me laugh so hard that I couldn't help but share it, enjoy!

Believe it or not, this is not a face I pulled on purpose. What in heaven' s name was I doing here??!




5 comments:

  1. You look so beautiful! I am in love with your hair. And the look, well, that one's a total hit as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much, that's very sweet of you to say!

      Delete
  2. Je laatste foto is natuurlijk de mooiste :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy f-ck you are gorgeoussssssss

    ReplyDelete